Thursday, October 6, 2011

WELCOME TO A FAR AWAY PLACE

DAY 4: October 3nd, 2011

Ashram Bethel House 7:23 AM Local Time

After going through customs at the airport, I immediately got recruited for the Western sucker. A nice Nepali man came up and insisted on loading my luggage on a cart. This was immediately after I exchanged money and I didn't know how much to tip him, so I gave him a 20 and a 30 bill in rupees; later I found out that this was under 1 USD so I felt relieved I hadn't given away a huge amount of my money!

Without knowing, I walked right by Brian Williams, my contact and the founder of AGAPE Mission; out in the street I was ushered along by a policeman with a whistle but I was able to come back inside the airport with the help of an elderly Nepali man, who wanted a tip (I wasn't as easily suckered in this time). Brian was on the other side of the glass with my first name on a piece of paper.

We took a taxi – a beat up 20 year old hatchback with a kid driving – to the Bethel Ashram House, where I am staying. The ride was like old times in Sri Lanka with people driving fast and honking horns, as they do in the developing world. Several times I thought we were going to get hit by buses and motorcycles spewing charcoal black exhaust. Brian made the trip more easy-going by talking with me about the book he's writing and the programs and ministries of AGAPE.

The people at the house were beautiful and joyful, though they definitely live in relative poverty. They are all Christians here. I don't quite know all their names yet. Roshun, a 16-year old with an infectious smile, made me feel welcome with his half-decent English and helpful attitude. Koruna, a Christian Sherpa woman from the Nepali side of the borderline with Tibet, also was welcoming and helpful and she made some wonderfully tasty “special” Darjeeling tea (It's pronounced “Chia”). Narmada, who speaks the best English, walked me to the store last night so I could buy some bottled water. We traveled by foot through mud (as it had rained just as I arrived – Brian called it showers of blessing!) to get there, but it wasn't very far. When I got back I had to spray down my flip-flops and feet twice. It was probably a bad idea to walk there without my boots! There are numerous children here too. We then had a dinner of rice and vegetable soup (daal bhat). After trying to learn some basic phrases in Nepali, I showered, unpacked the rest of my stuff, and went to bed exhausted. My 9 or 10 hours of rest last night will help me for today.

This place, though definitely rough around the edges compared to what I am used to, seems amazing and wonderful, and the people here at the house make it better! The view from my room is breathtaking. I am excited to see what this day brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment