Monday, October 31, 2011

A SHERPA MORNING

Friday, October 21st 2011

In Namche at the Sherwa Kungba Hotel at 8:00 AM

High in the mountains you start to feel a slight struggle for breath. It happens for me at about 3000 meters, we have been at close to 3500 meters here.

It is raining/wet snowing outside. It does this a lot at home in the fall/early winter so it sort of reminds me of home. Roshan and I have been reading Psalms and praying in the mornings before trekking. Today the verses were from Ps. 143. “Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul.”

We are not in some comfortable church back home reading this. We are in a drafty, old insulation-less Sherpa Hotel, high in elevation, low in oxygen, and we are about to climb higher, with the wet snow outside. These verses mean something else up here. May we be strong and smart. Please keep us safe.

 
PS I just figured out how to add these photos here so here they are! 
 
From clockwise starting at the left: Ursula, a Nepali Engineer, Chowang, Roshan, me

The view from Sherwa Kungba Lodge, on a cold wet morning

No comments:

Post a Comment