Sunday, October 16, 2011

ON THE EVE OF EVEREST

Sunday October 16th, 2011

At Prayer House at 9:55 PM

So I am actually spending the night here and I don't have to leave, although I am getting up early tomorrow, and heading back, so I must hit the hay soon...this will be my last entry before Everest.

I was in Thamel today with my friend Rahul, buying some last minute things for the trek – a map, some trekking poles, etc. On the way back we took a Tuk-tuk and were stuffed inside the small cab with close to 20 people. I wouldn't suggest you try this, especially if you are claustrophobic. A couple weeks ago it bothered me but I got over it fast. We drove back through the polluted rush hour to a stop near the prayer house, where I am now.

Sitting behind the driver was a girl who was wearing a face mask which was covering her mouth and nose. I couldn't tell her age because of the mask, but when I looked at her eyes I was enchanted. She was absolutely beautiful. I became inspired to write a short story about a man who travels to Kathmandu to climb mountains, and while riding in a tuk-tuk he sees a woman with spectacular eyes, the rest of her face being covered by a face mask. She gets off the taxi and he loses sight of her out the window in the hustle and bustle of the city. He changes his plans goes on a mission to find out who she is, but all he has to go off of are her eyes. It drives him crazy, like he's trying to find a needle in a haystack, but he's determined. He finally...

Sorry guys, I got a little carried away there. But the people here are beautiful, enough said.

There is so much to do before my trip to Everest. We are moving into the new house tomorrow. I need to clean up my room, pack and move. And I need to prepare for my trip. Roshan and I leave for Lukla – a small Himalayan village with an airport – in about 30 hours. From there we will begin the trek. It's crazy how all this has worked out. My girlfriend has been watching the mini-series show Everest about climbers who attempt the summit, and she is very concerned for me. She warned me it would cost $10,000 to go to base camp. Clearly I do not have that kind of money (I'm a poor college student still!), but I know there are other ways around it. It costs about $120 to get to Lukla. I already have a lot of the gear we will need, and Roshan will help me bargain at the tea houses along the way. I made some connections that first week, and was talking to a Christian Nepali man runs a trekking and travel business. He connected me with a travel agent that set things up for me on the cheap.

I am lucky to get the chance to do this, and even more blessed to have been recommended by my "boss", Pastor Brian, to go trekking in the mountains.  While setting up my field semester, it was made clear by him that seeing the mountains firsthand was practically a requirement.    

There of course is the concern about altitude sickness, but I am planning to be smart about it. I am more afraid of being ripped off by Everest financially than being beat by it physically. But I guess we'll see...I am trying to go into it open-minded, prepared and smart. If things don't work out, then fine, they don't work out. If we don't make it to Base Camp for whatever reason, fine. You can be assured that we will make a noble attempt. This to me, is like the ultimate backpacking trip. Say a prayer and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment