Tuesday, December 6, 2011

GOD LOVES ALL HIS CREATURES

Tuesday, December 6th, 2011

In my room at about 8:36 PM

This past week we had a problem with a mother cat sneaking into our house and building a home for three of her little ones. They would cry at night, and the mother would bring in rodents and birds (sometimes still living) for the her and her kittens to eat. After a few days their abode was stinking up the house. As no one has the time to care for the cats, and there aren't any animal humane societies nearby, the we had to think of a way to get rid of them.

What ended up happening was while the mother cat was out hunting one night, the others were able to catch the kittens. Then they traveled about a mile away to a park and let them go. Later that night I heard the mother cat crying. It's a sad story for sure, and the whole time it was unfolding I was reluctant to help and was trying to think of what else we could do. I felt awful about being a part of this trafficking of poor kittens, but of course I get more riled up when humans are trafficked. At least cats are programmed to live in the “wild.” They weren't newborns either, so I hope they do okay. When humans traffic other humans they take away a part of their own humanity in the process.

Still, when it comes to the “trafficked” cats, I am a little upset. It doesn't seem right taking a little one away from its parent, even for the sake of a better smelling house or a better night's sleep, I don't know. Before I left this morning, I listened as the community sang worship songs and Nepali Christmas songs. In between the singing I heard the mother cat crying. It was a rather heart wrenching moment, hearing people who had recently split up another creature's family, now praising God with all their hearts, while the mother cat cried for her kittens. Of course they had their reasons, and much worse things happens in the developing world all the time, but it just didn't seem right.

I also took the time to realize that none of us is right before God, that we have all done wrong, even if we have the best of intentions. I believe God knows this, and he loves us anyway. His love is strong enough to break through in moments like this, and reach us, even in our weak and sinful states. He longs to hear broken people like you and me praying to him, and giving him praise. He longs to see us seeking after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment